Saturday, October 17, 2009

Soup for Today

My sister sent me this recipe. I made it today and it is positively addictive. I also added a chopped jalapeno, one of the last in the garden.

Nayana Desai's Mung Bean Soup

I c. mung beans washed
5 cups water
If cooking beans in pressure cooker it takes about 15 minutes
Otherwise soak for a couple hours and then cook til quite soft- 40min or so
( FF note: I did a little research and mung beans do not need to be pre-soaked, they are more like a lentil
in that regard.. of course you'll have to cook them longer to attain desired falling apart stage in the soup)

In small frying pan heat 3 T safflower or soy oil
Add
1 t. whole cumin seed
When they start to brown slightly add
1t. turmeric
Then add this stuff to the beans

Add remaining ingredients:
3T lemon juice
1/2 t. curry powder.
2t. cilantro
1 T. chopped fresh ginger
2T. sugar
2T. tomato sauce (you can give a squeeze
of catsup instead of the last two ingredients.)
2 t. unsweeted grated coconut if you have it.

Add water to desired consistency-
(I like it watery and makes a couple qts for me.)
Cook 1/2 hour over medium heat.

No comments: